COMMUNITY OUTREACH DIRECTOR
Solar Holler is a West Virginian social enterprise based in Shepherdstown that is dedicated to making sure that West Virginia continues to power America through the 21st Century. To do this, we are building a renewable energy industry in our state from scratch—including developing the workforce, the supply chains, and the financing tools that bring solar within reach of those who need it most—particularly the community organizations and non-profits that make our towns and communities wonderful places to live.
ABOUT THE BUSINESS
At Solar Holler, we relentlessly pursue innovative approaches that bring solar within reach of those who have always been left out. Our very first project won Interfaith Power & Light’s National Renewable Role Model award for our first-of-its-kind crowdfunding program with non-profits. We use our deep knowledge of energy policy and financing to build programs that work—even in coal country. Faced with unprecedented demand in the state, we worked with partners to launch the first solar job training and apprenticeship program in West Virginia—bringing jobs and opportunities to the coalfields.
Solar Holler’s is an integrated solar developer and installer for all West Virginians. We are a rare breed—a licensed electrical contracting firm with policy and financing chops, a finger on the pulse of cutting edge technology, and an absolute commitment to using the power of solar energy to revitalize Appalachian communities.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The Community Outreach Director will play a key leadership role in driving Solar Holler’s mission of building a 21st Century energy industry in Appalachia. The Director will design, test, and implement an extensive on-the-ground and digital marketing campaign to help organizations and homeowners realize that solar and cutting-edge efficiency technology are within reach, even in West Virginia.
The ideal candidate will thrive while working with everyone from CEOs to the machine operator, enjoy working in a fast paced team atmosphere, and have a passion for doing as much good for as many as possible.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Responsible for developing and implementing a cohesive community outreach and digital marketing program to help West Virginian non-profits, businesses, and residents go solar and reduce energy bill
- Works with full Solar Holler team to maintain a steady pipeline of projects
- Maintains marketing budgets, reports, and pipelines
- Passionately represent Solar Holler’s efforts at regular events around West Virginia
- Making first contact with community leaders to introduce Solar Holler
- Motivating business owners, non-profits, and homeowners to sign up and get started
- Continuously test for best practices to drive adoption.
- Four year college degree
- Four years’ experience in campaign organizing, advertising or media relations, or equivalent
- Skill with public speaking and comfortable with media relations
- Digitally savvy including social media, digital advertising, and CRM tools
- Outgoing and willing to make first contact
- Comfortable shifting in the course of one conversation between big picture ideas and nitty-gritty details
- Effective time management skills
- Solar industry experience is a plus but not required
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic business environment and shift gears as needed
- Demonstrated commitment to doing as much good for as many people as possible
PAY & BENEFITS
Solar Holler provides our employees a competitive salary and profit sharing packages, as well as a casual, flexible work environment. In addition, we provide:
- 3 weeks paid personal leave (combined vacation and sick)
- 10 paid holidays annually
HOW WE WORK
We are incredibly proud of our work, and feel a deep responsibility to do it right and well. A just transition to clean energy for Appalachia will not happen on its own—we must lead.
We care about the groups and families we work with, and we always approach projects with their needs in focus. There is no cookie cutter project; every program and project we build we view as a work of art.
Our efforts have been noticed: Southern Living Magazine named our founder one of its “50 Southerners of the Year”, and we have been featured in Yes! Magazine and ThinkProgress.
In PDF format, provide us a cover letter along with your resume to Dan@solarholler.com. Solar Holler of course is an equal opportunity employer and we don’t tolerate harassment or other discrimination based upon sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, caregiver status, pregnancy, military or veteran status, race, color, religion, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other legally protected status.