Pursuing a USDA Grant for your Solar Project

You can send scans or snapshots of your tax info electronically, review and sign grant documents electronically, to dramatically speed up the process!

Pursuing a USDA Grant for your solar project is easy! Solar Holler takes care of the application process, and prepares all the grant forms for signature. As part of the grant application process you will be required to provide 3 years of tax returns, as well as review and sign the application forms. There are only two simple steps you'll need to complete, and below is all the information you need!

You'll apply for a registration number, which can take 2-3 days to receive, then use this number to open a registration account through which you'll receive funding if awarded. This award management account can take up to 2 weeks to become active. USDA reviews applications on a rolling basis, with intermittent deadlines, so please start these processes in as timely a manner possible, and we'll be diligently working on your application at the same time!

As always, if at any point you have any questions or need any support whatsoever, contact Addi Battista, our talented and friendly Logistics Coordinator!

How to Get a DUNS Number and Register with SAM...


In order to be eligible to receive financial assistance from USDA programs, business entities are required to obtain a DUNS number, and also annually register in the SAM system.  Business entities that are required to complete this process are not individual persons and are identified by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) with an EIN tax identification number (Employer Identification Number).  As provided on this website, the process to obtain a DUNS number and register on SAM.gov requires two steps. 

You do not need a DUNS number or register on SAM to obtain technical assistance from NRCS.

What Are DUNS and SAM?

DUNS is Dun & Bradstreet's (D&B) "Data Universal Numbering System".  It is a copyrighted, proprietary means of identifying business entities on a location-specific basis. 

A DUNS number is a unique nine-character identification number Dun & Bradstreet provides free of charge.


The System for Award Management (SAM) is the Official U.S. Government system that consolidates the Central Contractor Registration (CCR), Federal Contract Registry (FedReg), Online Representations and Certifications Application (ORCA), and Excluded Parties List System (EPLS). 

Business entities that have obtained a DUNS number must register annually on SAM to be eligible to receive financial assistance. 

There is NO charge to register or maintain your entity registration record in SAM.

Step 1: Obtain a DUNS Number

Your entity may obtain a DUNS number in two ways:

By Toll-Free Telephone

Business entities may request the DUNS number by calling a toll-free telephone number: 1-(866) 705-5711. Tell the operator that you are applying to a Federal financial assistance program and need to register for a DUNS number.


Over The Web

Business entities can also obtain a DUNS number through D&B's Web site at: http://fedgov.dnb.com/webform .

To complete the process to obtain a DUNS number, you will need to provide the following information:

  • Legal name of your business entity
  • Address
  • Phone number
  • Name of the CEO or business owner
  • Legal structure or type of business (corporation, partnership, proprietorship, etc.)
  • Year the entity was created
  • Primary line of business
  • Total number of employees (full- and part-time)

Note: Obtaining a DUNS number places your organization on D&B’s marketing list that is sold to other companies. You can request not to be added to this list during your application. D&B should not charge you a fee for requesting a DUNS number. You are also not obligated to purchase any of their products as a condition to obtain DUNS. It may take 2 -3 days for you to obtain a DUNS number.

A Frequently Asked Questions about DUNS is available at: http://fedgov.dnb.com/webform/displayFAQPage.do     

Step 2: Register on SAM.gov

Once you have been assigned a DUNS number, you must annually register on SAM.gov to remain eligibleto receive program financial assistance. To complete the process on SAM, you will need the same kind of information used to obtain your DUNS number as well as your Tax Identification Number (TIN) and other data to complete registration and reporting requirements.

Before registering, you should review the SAM User Guide. It can be viewed online or downloaded as a PDF at this address: SAM User Help     

If your organization has the necessary information ready, online registration will take about 30 minutes to complete, depending upon the size and complexity of your business entity. It may take 3 business days or up to 2 weeks before your SAM registration becomes active.

If you are updating or renewing your registration information it will take approximately 24 hours to become active.

The above info from USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service Website, for more information, see the site here...